Home lifeDomestic services apparel Entertainment News Player community More

dad who died after falling 20ft when balcony 'collapsed' on holiday is pictured

Darren was on a family holiday when tragedy struck (Picture: Wales News Service)

A father-of-two who was killed in a freak fall after a wooden bannister collapsed on his hotel balcony has been pictured for the first time.

Father-of-two Darren Silcox,56,was one of two men who fell into the atrium stairwell while on a family holiday at Galeon Playa Apartments in Lanzarote.

He had been enjoying the sunshine when he and another man fell around 1.30am. Silcox was pronounced dead two hours later.

He was on holiday from his home in Cwmbran,Gwent,where he had opened two shops in the town called Silcox Stores.

Customers and friends have since paid tribute to the ‘wonderful man’ and ‘great guy’ ahead of his funeral later this month.

One woman said: ‘He was always so lovely to speak to in the shop,this really saddened me when I saw the news.’

The inquest has been adjourned until July next year (Picture: Wales News Service)

An inquest into Silcox’s death was told he fell into an atrium stairwell,following the collapse of a wooden bannister.’

Gwent Coroner’s Court was told the local civil guard was investigating his death.

Area coroner for Gwent,Rose Farmer,said she was opening the inquest due to a death from injuries from a fall.

She said preliminary investigations suggested Silcox died ‘due to a traumatic brain injury due to a fall,skull fractures and skull lacerations.’

The police are reportedly focusing on whether inadequate upkeep or safety measures played a role in the death.

The 54-year-old survivor received immediate medical attention before being transported to the intensive care unit at Doctor Jose Molina Orosa Hospital.

The incident has deeply affected the popular tourist destination,where visitors typically expect safe standards in hotels and flats.

Initial reports indicate the compromised barrier was situated in an upper section of the hotel premises,though authorities have not disclosed the establishment’s name.

The inquest has been adjourned until a full hearing on July 20,2026.

Disclaimer: This article is reproduced from other media. The purpose of reprinting is to convey more information. It does not mean that this website agrees with its views and is responsible for its authenticity, and does not bear any legal responsibility. All resources on this site are collected on the Internet. The purpose of sharing is for everyone's learning and reference only. If there is copyright or intellectual property infringement, please leave us a message.

Newest

Leading the Trillion-Dollar Agentic Commerce Race: Tec-Do Anchors Its Position in the $100 Billion MarTech Ecosystem

Inside Korea’s intense exam season: From grounded flights to police escorts to school

Bodycams found on divers killed in Maldives could reveal final moments

Man dies ‘while being pinned down by shop security for shoplifting’

Israeli minister Ben Gvir under fire for ‘inhumane’ treatment of Gaza flotilla detainees

Suspected ‘Sarajevo human safari’ participants investigated for ‘paying to shoot humans’

©copyright2009-2020New York Fashion News    Contact Us  SiteMap